CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 9, 2007

First Day of School

Mommy and Rhett on their 1st day!
He had been so excited and was counting down the days. The excitement must have worn off!!
This is the closest expression to a smile that I could get!!
Trying to hide his emotionsCrying so much he can't control it anymore ... poor thing ;(

Today was Rhett's first day of Kindergarten!!!! He was very nervous and anxious. He cried when I woke him up to tell him that today was the day. Tony helped get everyone dressed and ready. We took a few pictures and were on our way! In the van he kept asking how long was he going to have to stay.

When we got to school (he goes to the same school where I teach) we went to my classroom and he ate breakfast. Another teacher came to the room with her little boy (who is in 1st grade) to introduce to Rhett, hoping that this would ease his nerves. Then we walked to the gym. When we first walked in he started crying. His teacher wasn't there yet, so I asked him if he wanted to walk with me to the restroom. I hugged him and told him everything would be okay and that when we went back to the gym, he would see some of his friends from Wee Ones Preschool. By the time we made it back to the gym he was crying so much he could hardly breathe! I stayed with him a little while and then I started getting teary eyed. I told his teacher I was going to walk away. I thought this would be best for both of us. I watched from across the gym as several teachers, assistants, parents, and grandparents tried to comfort him.

At dismissal, I went with the car riders so that I see him and ask about his day before he left. When he saw me, he smiled really big. I hugged and kissed him and told him I was so proud of him. My mom was the first car in the line so I walked him to the car and told mom I would call and let her know how he did after I talked to his teacher. She said by the time everyone got settled in the classroom he had calmed down. She said he talked with the kids at his table and smiled at her a few times. The principal told me when she went in to introduce herself and he smiled at her. No one mentioned that he spoke to any of the adults ;) I guess we'll take it one step at a time!

Everyone told me how cute he was and how they were amazed he's already old enough to be in school. This evening he talked about all the fun things he did and about his friends. His teacher read The Kissing Hand (I read it to my class on the first day as well) and I told him I would kiss his palm in the morning so I could "be with him" all day!

I can't believe how fast the time has went by! I was very emotional last night and Tony and I both cried when we would talk about it. My little boy is growing up!!!!!!!

3 comments:

The Tibbs World said...

That gets me a little teary eyed myself. But it is so funny how different he was in Cubbies when you weren't around, he came out of his shell and opened up a lot more. Isn't that crazy that kids do that.

I'm so proud of him. This just makes me really sad that he isn't going to be with me in Cubbies this year. :( I'll miss him!!!

robownsme said...

I'm so proud of Rhett! I remember Sarah's first day of school very well. I think it will help with him knowing that you're there if he needs you. Sarah liked that a lot. Not anymore though! :-) Her fist day of 8th grade is Wednesday. I want them all to stop growing. LOL

Beth, Joshua, Isabella, McKinley and AnnaKate said...

I still can't read this without tearing up...