CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 1, 2008

School's Out ... Time to Get Organized!!!

School was officially out for the kids the 23rd of May. We had a Teacher Work Day the Tuesday after Memorial Day and then I went to an In-Service on Wednesday. So for me, summer started on Thursday.

I have done so much around the house!! It's amazing how much I can get done when I am not working full time!! I bought over-the-door shoe racks for all of our closets to organize our shoes. This made a huge difference, especially in Micah's closet! Then, I went through all of the drawers in the kids dressers and picked up paint samples at Home Depot. I have never painted their walls (they are still off-white). I think I've lined up my brother, Lee, to paint for us. Rhett's will be a light khaki, Micah wants pink and green, and I'm trying to decide between chocolate brown and light khaki. In our bedroom, I cleaned out the drawers and cabinets in the dressers and organized our closet, too!!

Next, I tackled the kitchen cabinets and drawers. I re-organized everything and made a list of new utensils and gadgets that I would like to have. I've had the urge to buy new and update my kitchen after shopping for all of these weddings. I teased and said that couples should have a "10 Year Update Anniversary" every ten years to check out the latest gadgets!! I've bought myself a Magic Bullet, a Quesadilla Maker, and four 5-piece place settings of Fiesta dishes in random colors (scarlet, tangerine, sunflower, and turquoise- alll complimentary colors to my "chartruese") when I was shopping for the past 2 Weddings!!

Last, I sent through all of the toys in the basement. I've made sure all the toys have a container and/or spot on the shelf. It helps the kids when it's time to clean up. I've started on the unfinished basement (my part). There's still an area of Tony's stuff that he'll have to do. My laundry is caught up ...even the sheets and blankets!!! It feels so good to check things off my To-Do List!!

I think Tony has even got the organization/clean bug!!! He's cleaned out the garage, put together Rhett's basketball goal (a Christmas present) and right now he is cleaning and waxing the van!

I've even worked out a schedule for my kids and the neighbor kids to alternate playing inside and outside. It's funny because ALL of the neighbor kids know to take off their shoes (or sometimes wipe their feet off with a baby wipe) when they come in. And they all know my toy rule: clean up one set of toys before you get something else out. It makes things so much easier and I can relax and enjoy when I know my house is in order!!

My next goal for summer is to have better (healthier) eating habits. I am going to faithfully make a grocery list of meals and snacks and cook more often!! Grilling is out for now, we've had a bird make her nest with 5 little blue eggs in our grill. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them!!

I'm off to check on Tony and my shiny (newly-waxed) van!!!

2 comments:

Mrs. Wesely said...

I have so much to say....
1. The over-the-door shoe organizer was a God send....It makes a huge difference!!

2. We are meeting on Saturdays at 7:30a.m. to weigh-in each week. I know it's early but so many things happen on Saturdays that it still leaves to time to go to events. There's walking the neighborhood planned after the meetings...except for me. I'll be going to Bodypump. Join us!!

3. We just got rid of a bird nest in our grill. We waited three weeks because the Internet article I read said the mothers rarely leave the eggs until they are hatched and the incubation period is only 12-14 days. After three weeks there was no sign of momma and the eggs never hatched. So Jonathon did the dirty work....I have no helpful tips for if the birds actually live. Sorry!

4. I LOVE SUMMER! Call and let me know when you're POOLing it up...

Rachel said...

WOW!!! I'm amazed at you were able to accomplish!!!!

I concur on the buying gifts for yourself - I bought one of Ashley's items for me!!! And it was the last one - sorry, Ashley!